Blog


The truth about flavored sparkling water

Are you, too, a sparkling water addict? Do you sip your bubbly water throughout the day, smugly reminding yourself that you're getting your 8 glasses of water a day and actually loving it?

What's your favorite flavor? Maybe it's coconut or orange vanilla (my personal favorite) or black cherry - there's almost too many delicious options to choose from. 

I have sad news out there for all you fellow addicts - flavored sparkling water is damaging your teeth. 

COME AGAIN, you say?

The breakdown is this: the flavor in your sparkling water is mostly citric and other fruit acids, which can cause tooth erosion (which can eventually cause your teeth to be hypersensitive to temperature and more cavity-prone). 

Basically, the more acidic a drink is, the greater the threat to your pearly whites. Anything less than a pH of 4 is considered detrimental to your teeth, and the flavors are the culprit. Plain sparkling water has a pH of 5, which is totally fine - drink that plain sparkling water all day! Once flavor is added, all bets are off, and you're better off only having these as a "treat." 

 

Acidic bottled water

(Bottled beverages under the red portion fall within an acidic pH range; beverages under the blue portion are within a basic pH range. From the Journal of Dental Hygiene)

The bottom line: flavored sparkling water is still way better to drink than soda, but should still be considered a treat. Regular water or plain sparkling water are better options. 

I know this is hard to read, but over time, you'll adjust. I promise.

Interested in learning more? Check out the original article here.